CODE OF CONDUCT AND ETHICS FOR TKL OFFICIALS
1. I will maintain the utmost respect for the martial arts.
2. I will strive to conduct myself at all times with the highest level of dignity and professionalism.
3. I will maintain the utmost respect for competitors, spectators, staff, and my fellow officials.
4. I will refrain from using negative and foul language at any Texas Karate League event.
5. I consider it a privilege to be a part of the Texas Karate League (TKL) and my actions will reflect credit upon the TKL.
6. I will attend training meetings and clinics to improve my officiating skills and learn the Texas Karate League’s current rules and guidelines and their proper interpretation and applications.
7. I will constantly strive to improve my own refereeing techniques and always accept sincere, constructive criticism from fellow referees or official assessors without malice.
8. I will be loyal to my fellow officials and never knowingly promote negative criticism of them or the TKL.
9. I understand that any criticism of fellow referees should be limited to constructive criticism in quiet, private referee-to-referee discussions, and then never within hearing distance of competitors, coaches, instructors, or spectators.
10. I will help improve the knowledge and skills of my fellow officials and help promote teamwork.
11. I do hereby acknowledge my fellow referees’ total authority over any matches which they are duly assigned to officiate, and I pledge that I will never interfere with the carrying out of their prescribed duties, before, during, or after matches.
12. I will always make the safety of competitors, spectators, and other officials paramount in my duties.
13. I pledge that I will make myself available at all times for assignments of which I am qualified.
14. I will control the competitors effectively with courteous and consideration without sacrificing fairness.
15. I will not discriminate against nor take undue advantage of any individual group on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
16. I pledge that I will enforce the rules and guidelines of the Texas Karate League without prejudice or favoritism to any competitor, team, school, instructor, association, spectator or other officials.
17. As an Official, I will refrain from excessive coaching and cheering so not to show partiality and bias.
18. I understand that I must wear only approved black uniforms to officiate and that my uniform be clean, neat, and in a good state of repair.
19. I will strive to be in good physical condition to do my duties effectively.
20. I pledge not partake of any type of alcohol, substances, or medicines that would impair my duties and judgement before any tournament and that I should never smoke, eat, or drink while actually officiating.
21. I furthermore understand that I may be disciplined to include being placed on probation, suspended, or refused referee registration for significant or repetitive breaches of this Code of Conduct or any of the Texas Karate League policies.
22. I understand that I should not be officiating at any Texas Karate League event if I have been court ordered to not be around children or any specified persons who may be attending the events.